thepunkboard

shittiest site on the internet, live from san diego

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

landlords lol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

Number of posts : 465
Omgz Rep! : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: landlords lol   July 20th 2009, 11:51 pm

So when we saw the new apartment we ended up renting, we were told there was a washing machine hookup in the bathroom. And there was, we saw it with our own eyes. So, assuming it worked, we buy a washer and have it installed. Installer says he's getting no pressure from the pipes, so we should call our landlord. Landlord says to call her plumber. Plumber comes and checks it out and says the pipes had been cut, and he'll have to go into the wall to repair them and connect them with the shower's hot and cold pipes. He also says the drainage pipe is non-existent, so we'll have to run a hose from the washer into the tub for drainage. Well, that's kinda lame, but whatever... anyways, landlord gets the quote from the plumber (it's $300 right now and he says he'll have to come back tomorrow for about 4 more hours) and says that we should pay for half of the plumbing bill, despite saying nothing to us about the completely non-functional pipes for the washer hookup prior to us buying the washer (or even signing the lease). Uh, no?

The lease doesn't say we're entitled to a functional washer hookup, but if she points it out while we're checking out the apartment and we get no indication whatever it doesn't work, why is her failure to point it out to us suddenly our financial obligation? We didn't cut the pipes, and the repairs aren't a consequence of negligence on our part, so why should we be responsible for them?

To add insult to injury, she says "well, I would usually just take care of these sorts of plumbing bills, but with the economy the way it is, I just can't afford it!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banta-Cain

Number of posts : 169
Omgz Rep! : -1
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 20th 2009, 11:53 pm

nice.

i'll be interested to know the resolution to this. i love a good landlord story. especially if my friends beat the landlord. good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
worry

Number of posts : 1711
Omgz Rep! : -17
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 20th 2009, 11:59 pm

these landlords, always lording their land over everyone, makes me sick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 12:02 am

God damn it worry this is a pretty serious situation and not exactly the time for your particular brand of humorous jokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

Number of posts : 1545
Omgz Rep! : 0

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 12:31 am

I thought you got a house. I call bullshit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 12:34 am

I could see how you would think that, what with our being billionaires and all...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mom jeans

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 12:58 am

once all that fancy lawyer money starts coming in you won't need a washer and dryer, you can just buy new $1000 pants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 1:22 am

lawyer money? coming in? won't need washer and dryer? we are talking about the money that an immigration advocacy non-profit "attorney" makes after paying back student loan debt right? you know something I don't know?

plus fancy pants require dry cleaning, that's expen$ive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 2:44 am

A house up yonder goes fot like $1,200.

Also, $1,000 pants get washed like christ's feet and dried by mary magdaline's hair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 2:57 am

a house up where now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 6:02 am

don't you live in the land of shitty beer and lakes now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
repaost

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 1:22 pm

im not giving advice after the fact but relating some advice to all: everyone should take advantage of their insta photo and film technology on their cell phones(except amy) and take photos and video of any conversations between them and someone you get into a contract with.

ex: take before/after photos of the place you're moving in, car you rent etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Udo Dirkschneider

Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 1:43 pm

Good advice.

Also, LOL @ Amy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jackhole

Number of posts : 95

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 2:07 pm

My sister and her husband tried to get out of a lease for a similar situation. They ended up having to take the landlord to court but they won.

They moved into a brand new housing complex and were one of the first people to start living there. When they moved in (after a lease was signed) they were told the phone service hadn't been hooked up yet but the phone co. was gonna do it that week. 8+ months go by and several letters of complaint and still no phone.

The judge said that when they moved in there were phone jacks in the wall implying there was access to telephone service and they were let out of the lease.

I think if it comes down to something like court, on top of her being "willing" to pay for half, the presence of a hookup implies you should be able to run a washing machine.

Last edited by jackhole on July 21st 2009, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit: this is all coming from my extensive legal experience.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 2:36 pm

Yeah, that's how I see it, despite my landlord's insistence that "having a washer is not a necessity but a perk, like a garbage disposal." Well if that's the case then don't point out the freakin hookup you scoundrel. I'm buddies with my last landlord so I emailed her for her take on it and she was all "well if the washer hookup was included in the lease then she should have to pay for it." Of course, it's not...

She's just shady though. When we sat down to sign the lease, she wrote the rent amount on it as $20 more per month than what the craigslist ad and her website listing had it as, and what we talked about before. When I say "hey, wasn't it cheaper before on the ad?" She says "oh, that must have been a mistake, but I'll give it to you anyway" and changes it on the lease. Immediate red flag that I'm dealing with a weasel. Also she decorated her home office with painting of cherub angels.

So yeah first thing we did after moving in is take pictures of cracked windows, water damage by the shower, basically anything that was less than perfect and emailed it to her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheezburgur42069@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 2:47 pm

Richardson wrote:
don't you live in the land of shitty beer and lakes now?

Yep, and houses can be rented for about that much, but not by us. And I like shitty beer in the summer. You can get 5 Miller Lites for $5 if you take the Miller brewery tour. Plus you get to look at VATS!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
worry

Number of posts : 1711
Omgz Rep! : -17

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 21st 2009, 9:00 pm

repaost wrote:
im not giving advice after the fact but relating some advice to all: everyone should take advantage of their insta photo and film technology on their cell phones(except amy) and take photos and video of any conversations between them and someone you get into a contract with.

ex: take before/after photos of the place you're moving in, car you rent etc.

see this is why i support just letting the government put cameras and microphones everywhere, like in england
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mom jeans

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 22nd 2009, 12:46 am

LOL @ me and my shitty nokia phone, indeed. well except for the fact that my phone will probably outlast both of your fancy phones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeff

Number of posts : 655
Omgz Rep! : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 22nd 2009, 2:19 am

nokia phones woot woot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Creed Bratton

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 22nd 2009, 2:19 am

mom jeans wrote:
LOL @ me and my shitty nokia phone, indeed. well except for the fact that my phone will probably outlast both of your fancy phones.

you and jeff are twinsies with your zach morris phones
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mom jeans

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 22nd 2009, 2:27 am

they're the best phones for people who like to party because it essentially takes a steamroller to break them. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Udo Dirkschneider

Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: landlords lol   July 22nd 2009, 5:40 am

That's the truth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el chupacabre

Number of posts : 124