thepunkboard

shittiest site on the internet, live from san diego

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

nerd question re: external hard drive problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
worry

Number of posts : 1711
Omgz Rep! : -17
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 5th 2010, 5:26 pm

my sister in law has this external hard drive, it's been working fine, but now all of a sudden a single folder has become a problem. it suddenly wants to require Administrator Permission to even access it, but apparently not the Administrator of whichever PC it's connected to, including hers. in other words, it requires administrator permission, but once you click Continue, access is denied. the HD is used as a simple media storage device, and Pictures/Music/etc. folders have not changed and are all accessible, it's the Movies folder that's acting up.

any ideas what that could mean or how it can be solved? for the record, she's PC-literate and hasn't monkeyed around with the properties or anything, so from our perspective, it's a problem that is "suddenly" happening for no apparent reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jason

Number of posts : 1095
Omgz Rep! : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 5th 2010, 5:30 pm

You need to reboot the Google.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

Number of posts : 1545
Omgz Rep! : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 5th 2010, 5:33 pm

Unrelated to an external hard drive I had a similar problem with my backup drive when I was running Vista. After I upgraded to 7 it fixed itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mopuddin

Number of posts : 2049
Omgz Rep! : -11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 5th 2010, 6:38 pm

take her to the back room and download all over her mouse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chadillac

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 17th 2010, 11:28 am

ive been backing up a lot of files lately on external hard drives and this administrator permission issue has popped up on certain folders and i have no idea why. fortunately for me i just click continue and it continues.

id like to hear about it if you find an answer somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mopuddin

Number of posts : 2049
Omgz Rep! : -11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 17th 2010, 5:08 pm

ditto
Back to top Go down
View user profile
worry

Number of posts : 1711
Omgz Rep! : -17
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 17th 2010, 6:45 pm

No answer as of yet. On her personal computer, one can click Continue and get into the folder, but when attempting to open individual files, permission is denied. This is still better than on any other computer, where permission is denied to even view the contents of the folder. However, apparently in safe mode she can access and use the files on any computer. But in a nasty twist, on her own computer, which is basically brand new as she bought it for her current semester, F8 isn't taking her to safe mode at all...Windows just loads in standard mode. All that said, the hard drive thing isn't a major issue right now so she's laid it by the wayside. I've done basic searches on message boards and such though, and haven't even seen this issue mentioned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 18th 2010, 5:59 pm

A good forum for computer help is http://hardforum.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PokeItWithStick

Number of posts : 357
Omgz Rep! : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   November 25th 2010, 3:52 am

ILL SAVE YOU IM FRONT THE INTERNET
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nerd question re: external hard drive problem   

Back to top Go down

nerd question re: external hard drive problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1