thepunkboard

shittiest site on the internet, live from san diego

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
worry

Number of posts : 1711
Omgz Rep! : -17
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 27th 2010, 9:03 pm

The Bill of Rights is a pretty ideal document (especially with the 14th Amendment to emphasize it), and if people aren't so great with even those protections in place, removing those protections would lead to worse behavior, not better. That's not meant to be a perfectly logical if-then statement, it's just what I find to be most likely.

That eyeball thing is interesting, but I wouldn't consider instinctual selfishness to be a flaw in our evolution. It's pretty much the defining characteristic of all advanced living things on earth. It's only our capacity for reflection that casts it in a different light. And that's a good thing, of course, but it's definitely the distinguishing mutation and not the norm. I mean, you do mention this somewhat, and I do agree that humans are empathic after a certain point in development (if that's what you're saying), but I still think you're kind of expecting something from evolution that it doesn't provide. Evolution didn't lead to us, we're just one product of the process. That said, I think we're a dead end. You seem to think we're still in the process of adaptation, and it might lead somewhere, and there's potential for a great next step; whereas it seems to me that we've come to a point where the world adapts to us (or is shaped by us) and not the other way around. And I think that's permanent. We're not returning to nature. Our minds will not let us.

Re: government itself, as far as I'm concerned, it's mostly a semantic argument. What you're arguing for is still government, it's just local instead of grand scale, and called something else. And in my view, the more localized government gets without supervision, the pettier it gets. The states are worse than the federal govt, not the other way around. And historically, more progress is made when governments do the right thing before the populace reflects that right thing. I would suggest that contrary to popular belief, our constitutional government has done more good than its constituents could have done otherwise. Nowadays when there's a murder-suicide, or a gang slaying, people complain that the world is going to hell in a handbasket -- as if slaughter wasn't the norm in all of previous human history, and these things aren't shocking because of their relative rarity.

I don't think people are particularly stupid so much as short-sighted, but they can be nudged in any direction by group mentality quite easily. A permanent authority that honestly maintains the common good is a good thing. I don't particularly believe in meditation, good sex, or drugs either. They're pastimes and diversions, sure, but not paths to enlightenment, and they certainly cannot function as social regulation in any ideal sense. I think Aldous Huxley made that point too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

Number of posts : 1545
Omgz Rep! : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 27th 2010, 9:46 pm

People are definitely stupid when left to their own devices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mopuddin

Number of posts : 2049
Omgz Rep! : -11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 27th 2010, 11:12 pm

you fuckers certainly have time to type shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eva

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 29th 2010, 1:14 am

Richardson wrote:
I think you seem to get so lost in metaphor that you lose track of objectivity in a conversation like this. It's cool though. We can agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sway your opinion whatever it may be.

Actually, you succeeded in swaying my opinion. I thought I was being completely clear. I learned that I can't even succeed in expressing my ideals without a middle man representative. So I do no better than any of the people I indirectly pay to represent me.

worry, wow! I like when you type a lot of shit! You also help to prove to me that I'd fail in representing myself directly, so might as well keep paying the middle men & not add to unemployment rates.

I love this guy:
http://www.jimhightower.com/
I rarely (if ever) disagree with him. He represents me perfectly :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brenda/y

Number of posts : 433
Omgz Rep! : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 29th 2010, 1:59 am

jason wrote:
The first thing they should do is shut down Alex Jones.

yessss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richardson

Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   June 29th 2010, 6:45 am

bullshit. I don't believe you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eva

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   July 5th 2010, 2:07 am

In action?
http://tvshack.net/index.html
I didn't even know the site was illegal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.   

Back to top Go down

look what joe "ban everything" lieberman is up to now.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
thepunkboard :: thepunkboard-- version: suck :: general discussion-
Jump to: